Saturday, July 9, 2011

What the Bible Says about Depression and Anxiety

Do you believe that God can conquer all? I certainly do. The bible is the most powerful weapon against Satan and bad thoughts and feelings. Do you suffer from depression or anxiety? A lot of people with Fibromyalgia suffer from these conditions, including me. It is an ongoing battle. Here are some bible verses that can help you cope with your depression and anxiety and maybe even forget about negative thoughts for a while!
Picture from http://portialwaysliterature.wordpress.com/

Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”
Nehemiah 8:10 (NKJV)

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
Psalm 37:23-24 (KJV)

Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psalm 37:3-4 (KJV)

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33 (KJV)

There are several more where that came from. I don't know about you, but when I spend time reading the bible I tend to get a feeling of peace from it. It doesn't last forever, but that's just a sign that I need to open my bible again and start reading God's Word. I wanted to end on that last verse in the book of John because we should take comfort in the fact that God has conquered the world. There is really nothing to fear if we just know that, accept Jesus Christ into our hearts and lives and follow God's Word to the absolute best of our ability. All of us Christians are supposed to try to be like Jesus. Do you think Jesus was depressed and worried all of the time? Of course not! He wouldn't have been able to do everything he did for us! Thank you Lord for sending Him as an example for us to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment