Sunday, March 6, 2011

Helping Others

I think it would be great if fibromyalgia sufferers united and tried to help each other in a positive light. I know many of us find it difficult to take care of ourselves at times, much less other people in need with fibromyalgia or a different condition that is hard to endure.

Why am I bringing this up? My pastor, Mark Dean of Sienna Ranch Baptist Church in the Houston area, told his favorite story again today during service. Although I've all heard it before, it has the same effect on me when he repeats it. During a special olympics game a while back (over 20 years ago), a very unique incident happened that touched the hearts of the audience.  The contestants all lined up for the 100 meter dash. When the shot rang out, the runners that had trained very hard started the race of their lives. One young man fell, scraped his leg, and let out a horrible yelp of pain. One by one, all of the runners came back to pick the contestant up and help him finish. Not one of them ignored him. Not one of them crossed the finish line. They all just forgot about their huger personal goal of finishing as fast as they could and helped the contestant who fell finish the race with them. Isn't that how we should strive to be? We can send an encouraging email to others, give someone a call and try to brighten their day, or any other unique way to help someone.

So many people who have claimed to have gotten better from this disease tend to sell books or sell something else quite lucrative. How about sharing knowledge with each other just based on the Ten Commandments? I know greed is a hard sin to tackle and I am just as guilty as the next person of having occasional envy of others. Can we try not to make money off of the sick though? Especially with all of the false claims out there that we've all tried, FM patients are in no mood to pay for another book or diet.

If I get better or go into remission, I will share all of the info on how I got better with you guys right here on this blog. That is a promise.

I will leave you with a verse about that ties into the main point I am trying to make- We should try our hardest and ask God to help us to care more about others than we do about ourselves.

Philippians 2:4 

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.









Have a great day and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment